Lynne and Heather embark on the Eat to Live diet developed by Dr. Joel Furhman. The adventure begins with an initial 6 week diet to re-energise and detox the body. Follow us as we discard our favourite high calorie/low nutrient foods for a nutritional, disease-free diet!

Wednesday 17 October 2012

Can a happy herbivore and a cheerful carnivore, live together in harmony?


Attitude is key! A positive attitude is the breeding ground for success and miracles.
Making a major lifestyle change, can be as hard as you make it. If you go into it, thinking: "This is going to be impossibly hard! I don't think I can do it..." It will be hard! If the only thing you can see, are the obstacles and all the reasons why it can't possibly work for you, failure has been set in motion before you've even begun! On the other hand, maintaining a positive attitude, expecting good results and success...seeing this lifestyle change as a new adventure, learning and growing...keeps you joyful and strong! You will even find yourself having fun with it!
When I chose to dump my toxic American diet, and replace it with health-promoting plants, I did it with a positive and expectant attitude. I did it, enthusiastically!
My number one obstacle and difficulty? Making this major  change while my refrigerator, freezer and pantry remained stuffed with: eggs, cheese, milk/butter, lunchmeat, chicken, sausage, hamburger patties, olive oil, processed foods, etc!!! You see, I couldn't make a "clean sweep" in my kitchen, and discard all those food items because of my beloved husband...and his carnivorous ways. (hahaaa) He loves meat - grilled, fried, roasted..with gravy, etc.
I had to go into this, with all that cheese in the fridge...staring me in the face and calling my name!..and not touch it!? This drove me nuts, the first few weeks! I buried it (in the crisper, under the lunchmeat). Out of sight, out of mind, right? It's voice got fainter and fainter, while I reached for the hummus, instead. When he threw burgers, chicken or sausage on the grill, we shared a few beers and I had tortillas filled with rice, spinach, black beans and salsa. Before long, he was asking for a taste..and, he liked it! A few days ago, we shared a lovely meal of whole-grain spaghetti, with tomato sauce and a salad...no meat.
I believe there are two keys to living harmoniously, with two separate eating lifestyles : tolerance and respect. We each respect the other's right to choose, we are each free to make our own choices. We do not feel the need to pick, nag or force our personal choice, on the other. I am blessed to have a loving husband who supports and respects my decision to make changes, in any area of my life.
Live, and let live. Kindness, respect and tolerance, promote peace and harmony.
So -
the answer to that question?
Can a happy herbivore and a cheerful carnivore live together in harmony?
A resounding, YES!

No comments:

Post a Comment